Thursday, July 14, 2016

homemade guacamole


Today is our company picnic and I decided to bring my homemade guacamole, because you have to be a crazy person not to love it (my professional diagnosis). And also because I'm hoping nobody eats it and we can bring the leftovers home (mwwahahhaah!) So while I mix it up, I thought I'd share my recipe with you. Until I realized that I don't use a recipe because it's just all "to taste" which is the single most annoying thing to read on an actual recipe. I've never written a recipe before, but I figure this is a safe place to start. If you make it and don't like it we can just blame it on "different palates" or something like that. (Of course that won't happen cause this stuff is delicious). 

And while I'm at it, I thought I'd share some tips, starting with my favorite method for dicing up the avacado. I'm all about minimal clean-up and this has never let me down. After you cut the avacodo in half, use a butter knife to slice it top-to-bottom and then left-to-right. Then use a large spoon to simply scoop the whole thing out. Ta-freakin-da! Instantly sliced avacado!


Next I add the cilantro, lime juice, onion, salt and garlic. Next tips: I prefer to chop the onion small (it's about having flavor, not big chunks) Also, garlic paste because, say it with me: "minimal clean-up". And don't tell my husband I said this, but lime juice from the bottle is fine.


Give everything a big stir and taste test it. Too salty? Add lime juice. Too limey? Add salt. Kinda bland? Add a little more everything, especially cilantro. At this point I add the (optional) tomatoes because, not surprisingly, I have a thing for tomatoes. Cherry tomatoes are my favorite: just dice them up and deseed them or you will have runny guac. Yuck. And then stir them in like you add chocolate chips to your cookie batter- until they are just incorporated. (Nobody wants mushy and over-stirred tomatoes!) Next tip: enjoy!


My last tip (from a true expert friend of mine): if you are storing it overnight, add an avacodo pit or two to keep it from turning brown. I hope your family loves it as much as mine!

No comments:

Post a Comment